- This event has passed.
Business and University Innovation Workshop
February 10, 2016 @ 7:30 am - 11:00 am
Our universities in the Western Cape are leading in South Africa and Africa. Specifically in the area of patent activity of South African universities from 2009 – 2014, the four WC universities accounted for 46.8%. Stellenbosch University and UCT filed 120 PCT patents resulting in 24 spin-out companies in the same time period. Opportunities exist for business and universities to improve collaboration to stimulate and support innovation in the Western Cape.
The objective of this workshop is to establish a programme of engagement and support between business and the four universities in the Western Cape, specifically along the innovation value chain from research and development to commercialisation of ideas and spin-out or start-up companies
Aims of the Workshop
- For the Technology Transfer Offices (TTOs) to highlight the innovation value chain at universities from research and development to commercialisation, and where the universities see the role and value of engagement with business.
- For business to articulate how and where business would like to engage with universities, what the value is for business, and what support business can provide along the innovation value chain.
- To agree on an ongoing programme of engagement.
- 7:30 – 8:00 Registration
- 8:00 – 8:10 Welcome – Juliet Prowse, Programme Manager and Danie Fölcher, PwC Partner in Charge, WC Region
- 8:10 – 8:25 Value of university and business collaboration – Dr Chris Nhlapo, Deputy Vice-Chancellor, CPUT and CHEC Chairperson
- 8:25 – 9:40 Overview from the four Tech Transfer Offices of the innovation value chain; opportunities for business, specifically looking at commercialisation and spin-out companies; and the University Technology Fund.
- 9:40 – 9:50 Coffee
- 9:50 – 10:50 Q&A and discussion on how business and universities can collaborate, where we see value in the partnership, how we would like to engage with the TTOs and support spin-off companies.
- 10:50 – 11:00 Wrap-up and summary of outcomes.
- Tech Transfer Offices: Anita Nel,CEO of Innovus and Senior Director: Innovation and Business Development at Stellenbosch University; Piet Barnard, Director and Dr Andrew Bailey, IP Manager at UCT; Dr Janine Chantson, Director at UWC; Dr Gary Atkinson-Hope, Director at CPUT.
- Dr Chris Nhlapo, Deputy Vice-Chancellor of Research, Technology Innovation and Partnerships, CPUT; Prof Danie Visser, Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Research and Internationalisation, UCT; Prof Thandi Mgwebi, Director for Research, UWC.